You teach me and I’ll teach you
Now I’m sharing another thing I made: Beginner R and RStudio Training (featuring Pokémon!). It’s an introduction to R, RStudio, R Projects, directory structure and the tidyverse. It uses Pokémon Go1 data that I collected myself.2
- visit the page where the training is hosted
- look at the source on GitHub
- access a ‘follow along’ R script prepared by a colleague
It’s pretty rudimentary in content and design but it got the job done. I’m unlikely to update it any time soon. Feel free to use all of it, parts of it, or even fork it on GitHub and improve it.
Why didn’t I just use materials that are already out there? Well, I find it easier to teach material that I know well and that’s particularly true for things I’ve written myself. Also I couldn’t find any Pokémon-themed guides, so it was obviously inevitable.
Below are some other training materials to consider. I’m certain some of these will be out of date over time, or better things will emerge, but I’m unlikely to come back and update this post in the meantime.
Starting with R and RStudio
- Software Carpentry’s Programming with R
- Swirl teaches you R interactively, from within RStudio itself
- Further information about R Projects is available from the RStudio Support pages
- Starting data analysis/wrangling with R: Things I wish I’d been told by Stian Håklev
- Basics of ‘tidy’ data and the ‘tidyverse’ of packages
Data Science in R
Gotta badly draw ’em all
I’m sure it didn’t escape your notice that I drew some stunning images for the training material. Here’s a gallery.